What are Electric Motors?
Electric motors are electric machines or devices which converts electrical energy in to mechanical energy. However when it comes to scrap electric motors, there are a number of differences and with differences there comes a number of different grades within the scrap electric motor family.
Electric motors have a number of uses. I cant think of many things in modern society which does not have some form of electric motor in them. Electric motors are used in appliances such as washing machines and clothes driers. Believe it or not those large box type
plugs which power many things (Converts mains electricity to 6,9,12V etc..), contains a small transformer which in the scrap metal industry are classed as a form of electric motor.
Grades of Electric Motor
Within electric motor scrap there are a number of grades. I will try and provide a list with a brief description below.
- Contaminated Electric Motor Scrap (electric motors with excessive contaminants such as plastic, metal wood etc.)
- Electric Motors Scrap (electric motors free from all contaminants)
- Transformers (copper wound only. check with the scrap yard you are selling to if you come across aluminium wound transformers)
- Compressors (Fridge and air conditioner compressors)
- High Grade Electric Motors (Alternators and stater motors from cars and trucks)
- Copper Recovery (Small copper wound electric motors deemed to have a lower copper recovery rate than the non conforming motors listed at the top of this list)
Scrapping Electric Motors Tips and Cautions
- Just like all other types of non ferrous scrap metal it is important to keep your grades sorted and separated. This helps when time comes to sell.
- If you attempt to remove Scrap electric motors from anything, ensure there is no electricity source connected. Sources such as batteries and mains should be disconnected before attempting
- When cleaning up dirty electric motors ensure you are wearing appropriate safety equipment as electric motors generally are heavy and contain moving parts.